Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Shades of Gray + Banana Blossoms Pakoda/Pakora

Print  Friendly and PDF
Day7of BM#10: I am very emotional today. Emotional, bleak, hopeless and utterly bereft.Color me Gray-Thundercloud Gray.. Tornado Funnel Gray.. Gloomy Day Gray. Here is why -
Today, a few minutes before noon, a half-an-hour before lunch -- I get a phone call from my buddy. I didn't pick up the first time. She gives me a buzz again. As I pick up my cell to attend her call,I was wondering why someone who is at work seemed so intent on reaching me..There was a reason.She then dropped a bomb on me -- That our closest friend's toddler is dead.  A million questions arise on my mind- What? Who? When? Why? Why god why? Hell no..NO NO NO NO..She couldn't have lost her precious son..a son for whom she almost knocked at death's door delivering him to the world. A child who was her hope for a "brighter tomorrow"..I was in a complete daze. I continued work like an automaton while my mind was wondering if I heard it right. When my brain finally unfroze a multitude of emotions assault me.. brutally!!!

First came the anger - Anger at the gods, the unfairness and the way my buddy was dealt with such a cruel cruel blow.The kind of anger that makes one shaky like a leaf caught at crosswinds... an anger that makes every nerve of a being twitch uncontrollably. Second came the hatred -- Hatred, intense yet a "fleeting" hatred at the buddy who delivered me the news-she who burst the perfect bubble of mine called "Sweet November, Post Thanksgiving"- the harbinger of melancholy that soon followed . Next came the tears, like a dam burst. I ordered my brain to control it...to keep it in check until lunch break and then lose it. Cause at work, emotions don't come to play.

Lunchtime came and I headed to the restroom. I gave in to what my heart and mind wanted.. seek comfort by shedding tears. Then I took a walk. The cold and crisp air kissing my face was a poor poor consolation. But it composed and calmed the turmoil that was running rife inside of me and I went back to work. Evening came and grief promptly descended on me with its swift wings. I was a big mess..as I drove back home, I was cursing the fate for messing with the order of things -- parents losing a child is a big NO NO. Just thinking of what my friend must be going through was enough to break my heart anew.

Lastly came acceptance -- Acceptance that the pattern in the fabric of our life is intricately woven by a much higher power and things don't always happen in a favorable way.Especially for us mere mortals who are at the receiving end.But I tell you that I do come to that conclusion with a bleeding heart. A heart that sincerely wishes for a safe deliverance of the precious and innocent little soul, snatched wayyy before it had a chance to flourish and take root, into the safe hands of the Almighty. A heart that prays to God to give strength and courage to my friend and her family to overcome this unimaginable loss. Lil S, Rest in Peace. 

Please love your family like there is no tomorrow..especially the kids, cause they are the real asset to the parents, a true apple of one's eye(s).

I wasn't in the mood to blog as it was the last thing on my mind but this was already ready in the draft and I wanted to pour my emotions somewhere that were like a bubbling cauldron inside of me -

Anyways here is what I made for BM#10:
On a lighter note - Way7 To Maintain A Healthy Level of Insanity (and a bonus):
  • When Leaving The Zoo, Start Running Towards The Parking Lot, Yelling "Run For Your Lives, They're Loose!!"
  • Tell Your Children Over Dinner. "Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go."
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Split Chickpea/Bengal Gram, soaked for 3-4 hours prior to grinding
  • 3/4 Cup Cleaned Banana Blossoms
  • 2-3 Medium Garlic Cloves
  • ¼ inch Ginger, peeled
  • ½ Cup Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Mint, finely chopped
  • 2 Stalks Curry Leaves, finely chopped
  • 6-7 or less/more Green Chili, finely sliced
  • 1/4 Tsp Fennel Seeds, roughly ground
  • Salt for taste
  • Vegtable Oil for deep frying
Learn how to clean the Banana Blossoms here.

Procedure:
  • Soak the split chick pea in little water along with garlic cloves and ginger.Grind to a coarse/gritty paste without water.
  • Soak the cleaned Banana Blossoms in little Buttermilk and Water mixture. This delays the discoloration of the blossoms. Completely drain it of moisture and add it to a bowl.
  • Add the drained banana blossoms, ground split chickpea, finely chopped cilantro, mint, chilies, fennel seeds and salt.
  • Combine all of them together. Heat the oil in a wok/kadai/dutch oven.
  • Drop small lumps of the mixture into the hot oil using hands.
  • Deep fry until its light brown.
  • Drain the Pakora/Pakoda on a paper-towel lined plate.
  • Move it to a serving bowl and have it as a snack or appetizer.
    Similar Recipes @PGKC, FYI -

    Banana Blossoms Fritters:
    Cabbage Pakora/Pakoda:
     
    Enjoy!
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin

    25 comments:

    1. That is really paining news..Anyway we have to accept the fact..I will surely pray for his soul to rest in peace..

      That pakora looks awesome...You have made it perfectly

      ReplyDelete
    2. My very very very fav one..looks way too tempting and really drooling CL.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's loss, words can't really express enough! May she have strength to carry on.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Oh god, am really sorry for ur friend CL,its really heartbreaking..

      Crispy pakodas looks tempting and prefect for this chilled weather.

      ReplyDelete
    5. A really terrible thing to happen! May God give your friend and family the strength to cope up with this priceless loss.

      ReplyDelete
    6. so sorry to hear this news cl...prayers are with family and you too...pakora pics looks great !sorry after reading this post I can't write much about recipe...:-(

      ReplyDelete
    7. That's a terrible new dear. Our prayers are with Lil S's family.May lil S rest in peace in God's arms...

      ReplyDelete
    8. I can't even imagine the pain your friend is going through...I will be praying for that family.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Its an awful news to get and my condolences to your friend.
      I love the pakoda. Wish I could lay my hands on some fresh banana blossoms in my part of the world :-)

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hey CL, I have no words to tell you how I felt reading about this terrible news..i really hope and pray that your friend has the courage to bear this unfortunate cruelty. may the lil angle RIP. In my thoughts and prayers....

      ReplyDelete
    11. oh my god! Thats terrible news. Very very sad. How did that happen?
      My condolences to your friend and family..

      ReplyDelete
    12. Really sad news. Can I ask what happened to the kid? As a parent, it is heartbreaking to learn about someone's loss, especially about kids. May the littleone RIP and god give enough strength for the parents. After reading about it, commenting on food seems like I am less compassionate but your pakodas look so crunchy and a perfect companion during these gloomy, grey days.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Feel really sad reading your post .. May the little one RIP ..

      ReplyDelete
    14. That is terrible news. My thoughts and prayers with you and your friend's family!

      ReplyDelete
    15. this is so sad....prayers n wishes for the little soul to rest in peace.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    17. I am so sorry to hear this sad news...feel so bad....my prayers with you and ur friend....

      ReplyDelete
    18. I am so sorry to hear about yr friend's loss. It's really painful and heartbreaking. May God give your friend and her family all the strength to cope up.

      ReplyDelete
    19. the fritters look so full of flavor and it is yet another way to use banana blossoms! Sorry to read about your friend I as a mother can estimate the terrible pain that losing a child can be, life can be so cruel.

      ReplyDelete
    20. its been a long time couldnt catch up with any one busy with the baby these days..pakora looks awesome dear nice n yum crunchy

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks a bunch for your valuable comments and continued support.They are very much appreciated. Yes,like "Rain on Dry Land" and like "Oasis in Desert Sand".
    XoXo, Cool Lassi(e)